One of my Favourite Summer Make Ahead Salads
1 cup of cooked lentils – I use French
1 cup thin French Green Beans lightly steamed still crips
3 Roma tomatoes
about 12 black olives
1 large shallot, minced
about 1/2 cup feta
1/3 cup capers
For the vinaigrette:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
4 nice fronds of tarragon
1 tsp of Dijon mustard
The in’s & out’s of OIL PULLING!
I really have grown to love this process! It has benefited my oral health tremendously.
•1-2 tbs of coconut oil (food grade)
•1-2 drops of your favourite cleansing essential oil (my fav is the OnGuard, protective blend from doterra)
•Simply scoop your coconut oil, and add your essential oil to it.
•Swish it in your mouth for about 20 mins.
Note – this can be tiring for some in the beginning. That’s okay. Just swish as long as you can and your cheek strength will improve over time.
•Spit it out in the garbage (especially if you have a septic system).
•Rinse your mouth with warm water.
•Brush and floss as per your normal routine.
If you do not like the taste of coconut oil you can switch it out for MCT oil. This will have the same benefits as the coconut oil however it is a tad more expensive. Please note that MCT oil is always in a liquid state.
•Helps prevent tooth decay/cavities
•Improves bad breath
•Improves bleeding gums
•Helps with oral inflammation
•Help whiten teeth
•Soothes throat dryness
•Helps with cracked lips
•Supports Immune System
•Strengthens gums and jaw
Oil Pulling Tabs
If you are a DIY guru, this might be something for you. Oil Pulling Tabs are simply a little pre made tablet that is extremely convenient for people on the go!
•Coconut oil (food grade)
•your fav essential oil! Mine is OnGuard
•small silicone pan
•mason jar with lid
•Fill your silicone pan with coconut oil.
•Add one drop of essential oil to each tab
•Refrigerate (or freeze) until solid
•Remove tabs from silicone pan and store them in your mason jar or any other airtight container!
My aspiration is to educate the masses.
Why we don’t purchase doTERA through Amazon;
1. You get what you pay for – the essential oil industry is growing at a fast rate. Many people are in it for the money and not for the true therapeutic benifits of the oil. The caps and seals can be purchased for next to nothing and it is way too simple to dilute or even replace the oils that are in the bottles. Amazon has no control over this and it is scary to think of what’s out there and what is being portrayed as an essential oil.
2. As of March 31, 2016 there are no authorized doTERRA sellers on Amazon.
3. Community support – there is a lot to learn when it comes to essential oils. It’s a journey and is not something that will happen overnight. We have an amazing community set it place to help, guide and support you in any way imaginable! If you purchase from Amazon you do not receive any of that.
Personally for me, because I use the essential oils to support my family and myself I want to make sure that I get guaranteed pure oils and the education to maximize. Plus I get 25% off retail, FREE oils every month AND 25% back on each purchase I make. That is 50% off just because I am a wholesale member.
I was previously very impressed with Charlottes Web CBD Oil and would often recommend it to clients. But the pice tag was SHOCKING and still ran the risk of possible THC interactions 😔 If you don’t know about medical marijuana or hemp, aka CBD, then you need to know that there are two components that have an affect on our body systems – CBD and THC.
CBD interacts with our CB2 receptors and gives us incredible therapeutic benefits such as:
-nervous system support
-lowered insulin levels
*THC is the controversial component that interacts with our CB1 receptors which is responsible for causing the “high” associated with marijuana.
*What you may not know is that there’s a THIRD type of cannabinoid–BCP (aka Copaiba). BCP is the long lost relative we always hoped we’d find!
It was only just discovered as a cannabinoid in 2008. And while it’s different from CBD, it directly affects the same CB2 receptors and is a much more concentrated form.
💧CBD derived from hemp has a 2-4% concentration.
💧CBD derived from cannabis/marijuana has a 5-35% concentration.
💧dōTERRA’s BCP? 60%! Wow!
dōTERRA is the first company ever to formulate their Copaiba using 4 different species making it the highest concentrated cannabinoid available. Yet because it is not a cannabis derivative it will never show up on a drug test or alter your cognitive state out of a natural comfort range.
Lastly dōTERRA Copiba is 1/3 of the price of a good quality hemp CBD! I’d say that in my opinion. I feel Copaiba is the superior option. How about you?!?
We Live and We Learn 💙💚
Did you know there are alternatives to drinking this toxic YUCK. Well I didn’t 😔So last Tuesday into the lab I went and down the hatch IT went. I felt very uncomfortable and very ill within minutes! If you follow myself or know me personally you know that our family does not consume processed foods, dyes, processed sugars, gluten or conventional cows milk dairy. We eat very intentionally clean mindfully monitoring what we consume. So why in the WORLD would I drink this?!?!? Well I didn’t know I had options and I DIDNT ASK or do my own research for lack of information and time.
It took me until Friday to begin to recover from the massive shock and strain the Glucola put on my system. Here’s and shocker for you (NOT) I also failed the test! I wonder Why?!? It was days of MISERY while my body recovered and repaired just ask my husband 😜 So I have spent some time looking into this and speaking to other warrior Mommas like my sister in law 💜 and guess what I discovered? There ARE alternative options available for consumption allowing you to complete the test and also possibly get a more accurate reading. Especially if your like myself and do not consume much sugar or a “standard diet”. Am I disappointed this happened yes, but I’m so excited to have been given an opportunity to grow and learn!!! Begin a advocate for our own health and wellness is a ongoing journey. There are going to be set backs, opportunities to make changes and grow. I’m thankful to have been given another one. I encourage you to do your research always, even if it’s after the fact sometimes. Because yes we are all human even me and I am not a robot with unlimited time. But seeing the value and prioritizing my health is vital, something I take very seriously especially with a reminder like this one!
I am to go in and take the 3 hour glucose challenge tomorrow. My midwife and I have created a protocol that I am comfortable with and I will be writing more on the experience afterwards.
Stay Tuned 💫
But for now if you are looking for alternatives you here are a few by Dr. Romm;
imple blood test that doesn’t require you to ingest anything prior. While there is no set level that determines gestational diabetes (there are levels for non-pregnancy-related diabetes), done early enough in pregnancy it can determine whether you already had undetected diabetes before even becoming pregnant, and a level of 5.45% may be associated with gestational diabetes, in which case you can make dietary changes and wait until 24-28 weeks gestation, when the glucose challenge and GTT are typically done, and then decide whether to test.
2. Consider an excellent diet and random glucose testing. This just requires finger stick blood testing which can even be done by you at home, and is a commonly used alternative for women who can’t tolerate the Glucola. However, one test result alone is not enough to diagnose or rule out GDM, so you’ll want to work with your doctor or midwife to come up with a reasonable schedule for testing and assessing your results.
3. Consider ‘The Jelly Bean Test.’ This test, which has you eat 28 jelly beans, which also provide 50 grams of sugar, has been popular amongst midwives for decades, and now there are GMO-free and naturally-colored brands to choose from. While some data suggests that the results are not entirely as reliable as using the oral glucose test drinks, an article published in a major obstetrics journal states that jelly beans are a reliable alternative that are actually preferred by women and have fewer side effects.” (source)
I’m always on the lookout for opportunities to share information with you. Starching clothing is a dying art but one my grandmother took pretty seriously 😋 Personally the spray bottle with numerous warnings never beckoned me to take up this practice but it does not have to be that way. Did you know you could starch your clothing naturally. Please just ensure the ingredients you are choosing are Gmo and pesticide free. Happy Starching 💜
1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch. You can vary the amount to get a greater or lesser degree of stiffness.
1 pint cold water
1-2 drops essential oil (optional)
1 clean spray bottle
1. Combine the cornstarch and water in a bowl, and stir until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. (The mixture will be milky in color)
2. Add a couple of drops of dōTERRA essential oil for fragrance (if desired)
3. Then, transfer to a clean spray bottle, and use. You want to use a clean spray bottle that hasn’t been used for chemical products. Cornstarch is a neutral chemical, but it could still pick up traces of other products.
We hope that we get your mind jogging with our posts. It is important for us to learn, teach and grow. We absolutely love sharing our knowledge.
Please let us know if there’s something different you want to see or maybe even a specific topic. We will ensure to get it out there for you!
– Elise & Brittany